Why to develop a customer engagement platform?
Empowering users, informing business decisions
The customer engagement platform lets users manage their own relationship with publishers, while simultaneously collecting user data, automating billing and more.
Digital publishing needs customer engagement solutions
Whether transitioning from print or building a new business entirely in digital, media companies need software for customer engagement to solve their most pressing and enduring challenges.
The space faces difficulties including:
The development story
The client had begun building their own customer engagement platform before reaching out to us, but when Lightpoint engineers began working on the project the product was only 30% developed.
Starting with task-based engagement in 2015, Lightpoint’s team gradually transitioned to take ownership of the project and began creating modules of the solution.
A modular, comprehensive solution
To match the critical functions required of a customer engagement platform, Lightpoint built a number of large modules, all managed from the Central module.
The Showcase module displays the publications users can subscribe to. Allows users to register, input their delivery and billing data, attach a card and make payments.
Security is top of mind: we created a fraud detection and blocking system to protect users’ credit card, email and other data.
- Secure payments with top-rated providers like Stripe and Edgil
- Unique logic and UI configuration for each client
- Fraud detection and defence
Allows publishers to build sets of subscription offerings to match user demographics and behavioral data, then present them programmatically to potential subscribers, maximizing likelihood of subscription.
Multi-tenancy system offers support for different clients with different business logic, utilizing the same algorithm.
- Configurable application logic without reload
- Generate batched offers, yet retain the flexibility to set up the product differently for different newspapers
Self-service portal where users can manage their own subscriptions, including pausing and resuming, changing delivery and billing information, lodge complaints and select different subscription packages.
Multitenancy system supports different clients’ business logic with the same algorithm.
- Configurable, no reload required
- Only subscribers can log in with identity provided by Publisher
- Secure payments with top-rated payment providers like Stripe, Edgil, etc)
This module allows newspaper call centers to help subscribers resolve issues with their subscriptions over the phone. Support employees can do the same actions as subscribers can in the self-management module.
The module also contains multiple options for subscription configuration and other options for publishers.
- General information about publications
- Rules for complaints procedures
- Payments and billing support
- Selling, upselling and cross-selling opportunities
- Stop saver scripts to reduce subscription churn and encourage retention
This is a conversion optimization module created to save all user emails that have ever been mentioned, allowing targeted email campaigns aimed at increasing loyalty and retaining subscribers.
The module creates a large database of email addresses to allow highly-accurate, targeted email campaigns for off-site conversions.
- Customer recognition on landing
- Single customer view across email addresses and other data
At the core of the entire product, the Central module stores the business logic of the entire system and performs the key functions of the platform.
Handles subscriber access, payments transactions, and collects statistics on performance across titles.
- Flexible access control and request tracking for all external customers
- Unified scalable authentication system for the whole platform
- Point of integration with third-party service providers and publications
- Multi-tenancy logic flows for publishers
The Lightpoint team:
Panel Team: 3 devs
Offers module: 2 devs
Self service: 3 devs
Call center: 3 devs
Central: 2 devs
Marketing campaigns: 3 devs
QA Team: 5 QA Engineers, 3 Automation QA Engineers
Lightpoint built the system with:
Lightpoint built the system with:
- Clearance delivery
- Bank card binding
- Making payments
- Self Management Subscription
- Call center support
- Email signup
- Converting users to subscribers
- User behavior analysis
- Formation of offers for subscription
- Customer service
- Marketing campaigns
- Invoicing and payment control
- Additional payments
- Content management
- Storage of newspaper information
- Rules for responding to subscribers' complaints
- Product purchase by modules
- User identity provided by the publisher
Key platform features:
- Access control to the system according to the purchased products
- Performance monitoring of all modules
- Integration with third-party systems
- Modern technology stack
- Mechanism for recognizing and blocking intruders
- Subscription activity logging
- Feedback, saved content, and community tools
- Point of integration with 3rd-party service providers
- Subscriber flows, including newstarts
- Stop savers